Tuesday, November 26, 2013

What I Am Thankful For; Golf Edition

With Thanksgiving only days away, I felt it would only be appropriate to give thanks to 5 golf culture things. So let's jump right in :

1. Tiger Woods. Love him or hate him, I have to be thankful for him. Without him, golf would not have the popularity it does today, especially within larger cities. 

2. The Masters. It truly is a tradition unlike any other. The one major that can give me goosebumps when watching the back 9 on Sunday. Augusta is the "Mecca" of the golf world and should be on every golf enthusiast's bucket list  to attend at least once. Only 134 more days until round 1 starts.

3. Technology. It is amazing how much golf equipment advances from year to year. A couple years ago it was "average 17 more yards" and now all manufacturers are getting that 17 yards plus some along with more forgiveness. Technology has helped my own game and makes it easier for new golfers to enjoy the game right from the start. Driver adjust-ability has helped PGA pros with merchandising as we no longer have to stock as much product. We can now sell the driver, take it to the range and set it up to what works best.

4. PGA Professionals. What a great "club" to be a part of. From a career standpoint, they have been a valuable resource. I have worked for some great PGA professionals that have been great mentors to help me grow. Without them, I would not be the PGA professional I am today. Outside of family accomplishments and milestones, gaining my PGA membership has been my proudest accomplishment.

5. The Spirit of the Game. This is actually referred to in the beginning of the rule book and I am very thankful for it. The spirit of the game has taught me so much more than how to swing a club. It has taught me the importance of honesty, integrity and respect. It helped me gain confidence and handle responsibility. The spirit of the game has played an integral role in creating who I am on not only a professional level, but a personal one as well. There is so much more to golf than simply playing; the life lessons the game teaches is what makes the sport so rewarding.

These are just a few things that I am thankful within the golf realm. Be sure you take a moment to reflect on what you are thankful for during Thanksgiving week. I want to wish you each a Happy Thanksgiving and would love to hear what golf related things you are thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment